Schlumberger is committed to providing technologies and services that enhance and optimize our customers’ performance while making the most of our unique assets. To that end, we look to three long-established values that guide the decisions we make as we pursue our ambitions:
- Our people thrive on the challenge to excel in any environment, and their dedication to safety and customer service worldwide is our greatest strength.
- Our commitment to technology and quality is the basis for our competitive advantage.
- Our determination to produce superior profits is the cornerstone for our future independence of action and growth.
What does Schlumberger say?
‘One of our greatest strengths is the diversity of our workforce, with men and women of many nationalities and backgrounds working together and sharing common objectives. Schlumberger does not have a ‘nationality’ which describes its culture, but operates in a truly global fashion throughout the world. As a company, we encourage fair employment practices worldwide and offer equal opportunities to all our employees. We also try to take family considerations into account in any decisions about personnel matters or assignments.’
What do business leaders at Schlumberger say?
‘I think it is important to attract people who are clearly aligned with what we have to offer and who understand that a Schlumberger career is far from being a regular 9-to-5 office job. When we are out recruiting, we are very transparent about this, so there are no surprises for new employees after they join. Then we try hard to deliver on what we promise through our technical training, borderless careers, and diverse company culture. . . .
Our people are unique, and we have a truly diverse mix of nationalities at every level of the company. We also move people around quite a lot so they develop a strong global network of friends and support. We trust young professionals with a lot of responsibility from the beginning and we promote based on merit, so how you progress is based on abilities and performance.’
Our customers, suppliers and shareholders are increasingly global and diverse. They expect us to understand, respond, and deliver services that meet their unique expectations.
We must attract and retain top performers worldwide from the full depth of the talent pool and address the evolving needs of our workforce in terms of quality of life and dual career expectations. By creating a variety of perspectives that stimulate productive creativity and innovation, we maintain our competitive edge.
Three prerequisites upon which we will proceed with our diversity efforts:
- We are a publicly traded corporation concerned with profitability and shareholder return.
- Meritocracy drives our actions, decisions, and employee advancement.
- While it is a competitive advantage that our workforce communicates in a multitude of languages, English is the common language of our internal management communication.
Our goal is to continually increase the percentage of women we recruit worldwide, ensure proper career development for high-performing women, and increase our organizational flexibility to accommodate a wider range of personal situations.
Schlumberger has been successful in attracting and developing nationalities from nonwestern and emerging countries, now integrated into all levels of the work force, including senior management.